Senior Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) / Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP)
Serving as an advocate for Idaho's Medicare beneficiaries since 1986
We can help you put together the pieces of the senior health insurance puzzle! We will help you answer questions such as:
- How do I compare Medicare prescription drug plans?
- What is Medicare Advantage?
- What is Medigap?
- How do I get help with Medicare costs?
- I've been considering long-term care insurance. What questions should I ask?
- I can't make sense of my Medicare statements and medical bills. What do I do next?
SHIBA is part of a network of state health insurance programs (SHIP) across the United States and its territories. In Idaho, SHIBA is funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the federal agency which administers the Medicare program, and the Idaho Department of Insurance.
SHIBA is a part of the Department of Insurance, Consumer Affairs, which:
- Investigates claims and insurance fraud
- Provides advocacy services for consumers
- Provides assistance with insurance problems or questions on life, disability, long term care, property, casualty, and health insurance
We offer free and unbiased information, counseling, and assistance regarding senior health insurance. We do not sell insurance, recommend policies, agents, or specific companies. It is our goal to provide you with up-to-date and objective information to assist you in making informed buying decisions.
We are proud of our volunteers/advocates throughout Idaho who are trained on a regular basis to provide individual counseling to seniors and their caregivers. SHIBA has a strong community education and outreach component. Coordinators make educational presentations on Medicare and other senior health insurance issues to a variety of community groups. We disseminate information at hundreds of health and senior fairs throughout the State.
Helpful Internet Links: