Back to Press Releases
C.L. "BUTCH" OTTER
DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE
700 West State Street, 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0043
WILLIAM W. DEAL
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 20, 2010
|CONTACT: Tricia Carney
BOISE ID (April 20, 2010) – The Idaho Department of Insurance continues to receive information from industry and media sources across the nation that scam artists may be attempting to defraud consumers about the federal health insurance reforms.
Reports indicate that fake agents and sales people are posing as federal government employees and going door-to-door peddling phony health insurance policies. Elderly consumers are prime targets for these scams.
Department Director Bill Deal says, “Idahoans should be especially wary of door-to-door insurance sales, requests for immediate purchase of “limited enrollment” federal health policies and other high-pressure sales tactics.”
The Department has established a new page on their Web site, www.doi.idaho.gov, that provides information and links about the health reform bill including a timeline of events. Consumers can view a list of frequently asked questions and submit their own questions from this page.
The Department offers the following tips to help consumers protect themselves from scams:
- Be leery of people who show up at your door unsolicited. Representatives from Medicare will never visit your home or make a call to you unless you request it.
- Health insurance policies are issued by companies and not through legislation. An “ObamaCare” insurance policy is bogus.
- Legitimate insurance agents should not pressure you or rush you into signing anything. They should not object to someone else being present during a sales pitch.
- Never give out personal information to strangers.
- Always verify that an agent and company are licensed to do business in Idaho by calling the Department at 334-4250 in Boise or 800-721-3272 toll-free statewide, or by visiting the Web site, www.doi.idaho.gov.
About the Department of Insurance
The Idaho Department of Insurance has been regulating the business of insurance in Idaho since 1901. The mission of the Department is to equitably, effectively and efficiently administer the Idaho Insurance Code and the International Fire Code. For more information, visit www.doi.idaho.gov.