Welcome to the DOI


Find IdahoDOI on Facebook
Follow IdahoDOI on Twitter

Continuing Education Information for Producers

Continuing education requirements must be met prior to the license expiration date. Producer licenses will not be renewed if CE is not complete. CE providers will submit course rosters electronically. Producers must provide their Idaho license number when taking or attending a course, Social Security numbers will not be accepted. CE transcripts can be accessed through Compliance Express. Producers are responsible for ensuring that the transcript is accurate and must maintain a file of certificates of completion.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find courses to fulfill the Long Term Care Partnership Program education requirement?
Check the CE online catalog for approved courses:

  • Select "Approved Courses Inquiry"
  • Select "Idaho" - click Submit
  • Select "Long Term Care" - click Submit

Courses meeting the requirement will include "Partnership" in the title and will be at least eight hours in length.

What is the CE requirement?
The CE requirement for resident producers is 24 hours to be earned within each two-year licensing period. At least three of the 24 hours must be insurance ethics. Limited lines producers, adjusters and agents on inactive status are exempt from the CE requirement. Nonresidents will be considered in compliance if they have satisfied the CE requirement in their home state.

When will I be required to comply with the CE requirement?
Licenses may not be renewed and will expire if the CE requirement is not met prior to the license expiration date. Producers may not do business with an expired license, and appointing companies will be notified of the expiration. A late renewal fee will apply as well as a CE penalty for late CE submissions. The penalty for completing the CE requirement after the license renewal date is as follows:

1-30 days $100 fine
31-60 days $200 fine
61-90 days $300 fine

How are my CE credits reported?
Providers download rosters electronically through Sircon. You are required to provide your Idaho producer license number for each course you attend or complete. You may check your CE transcripts through Sircon at any time. If you find an error in reporting, contact the CE provider directly. Producers will receive certificates of completion for their records and must maintain these records for a period of five years. Beginning 45 days prior to your license expiration date, you may access the Sircon renewal system through our website to renew your license. Do not send certificates of completion to the department unless you are specifically requested to do so.

Can I look up the status of my CE on your website?
Click on the Sircon link on our home page to review your CE transcript.

Must I complete CE courses within my lines of authority?
No. Any courses approved by the CE Advisory Committee are acceptable. However, Idaho Code requires three hours of ethics each licensing period.

Can I carry over excess CE credit hours?

Do I need CE for my agency license?

Are producers with professional designations exempt from the CE requirement?
No. However, courses taken to earn professional designations are often pre-approved for CE by the course providers.

Can a course be repeated?
Courses may not be repeated within a renewal period but may be repeated in subsequent renewal periods.

What is the CE requirement for producers selling long-term care products?
Any producer who sells, solicits or negotiates a long-term care policy under Idaho’s Long-Term Care Insurance Partnership Program must receive eight hours of training in and demonstrate an understanding of Partnership Policies and their relationship to public and private coverage for long-term care. Producers are also required to complete four hours of long-term care insurance training every 24 months. Producers who sell, solicit or negotiate a long-term care insurance policy without having completed the initial training are in violation of Idaho law. Let your sponsoring insurance company know when you have completed the Partnership Program course as they are required to obtain verification of training. See Bulletin No. 06-5 for more information.

What is the CE requirement for producers selling flood insurance?
All insurance producers licensed in property, casualty or personal lines of authority who sell flood insurance through the NFIP must complete a one-time course related to the NFIP which will provide three hours of continuing education credit. The NFIP flood insurance course is available through approved continuing education providers. Failure to comply with this continuing education requirement may jeopardize the insurance producer’s authority to write flood insurance through the NFIP. 

Can I receive credit for a course which has not been approved by the Advisory Committee? 
Producers may submit applications for credit for classroom, teleconference or webcast courses attended during the licensing period. Course applications must be submitted prior to the license expiration date. The application form for individual course approval is Exhibit E. Attach a detailed, timed course outline or copy of your course agenda. Include a copy of your certificate of completion. No fee is required. Applications received on the wrong form will be returned to you. The Advisory Committee meets once a month, usually the first Friday of the month. If the committee reviews your application and requests more information from you, the process will take another month. Allow time for this possibility when submitting applications. If a course is not approved prior to the license expiration date, the license will not be renewed; there is no grace period. Correspondence, internet and other self-study courses must be approved prior to enrollment.